The main three aims of Bioinformatics is
1. Bioinformatics organizes data in a way that allows researchers/ students to access existing information to submit new entries (data) as they produced.
2. Is to develop tools and resources that aid in the analysis of data.
3. Is to use these tools to analyze the data and interpret the results in a biologically meaningful manner.
Bio-informatics helps one to carryout global analyses of all the available data and highlight novel features.
The bioinformatics has more subgroups viz. Networking, sequence database and alignment theories,phylogenetics, and secondary structure predictions and DNA analysis;biomolecular structure, dynamics and function, protein motifs, modeling and analysis of 3-D macromolecular structures; application in the discovery of synthetic molecules to treat human disease; molecular mechanisms involved with gene regulation etc.,
The tasks in Bioinformatics involve the analysis of sequence information. This process involves.
1. Identifying the genes in the DNA sequences from various organisms
2. Developing methods to study the structure and/or function of newly identified sequences and corresponding structural RNA sequences
3. Identifying families of related sequences and the development of models and
4. Aligning similar sequences and generating phylogenetic trees to examine evolutionary relationships
Why we should use Bioinformatics:
1. To do sequence & structural analysis of proteins & nucleic acids.
2. To study genomics, proteomics and pharmacogenomics.
3. Form biologist’s: Bio-informatics is a set of tools that allows the scientists to see the cause and effect relationships between disease and polymorphisms or differences in DNA sequence among individuals.
4. Bio-informatics is the use of computers to know function of protein and to compare protein – protein interactions m different protein families. Which is very important for drug discovery company's
5. Bioinformatics is the application of software to biology and medicine to discover knowledge.
What Skills Bio-informatic professional should require:
There is a wide range of topics that a BI professional should know, however it is not possible to learn them all. But the core requirements are as follows:
1. Bioinformatics professional should have a fairly deep background of molecular biology.
2. They must understand the central dogma of molecular biology.
3. They should have the knowledge of Linux/Unix language,
4. They should have experience with programming language such as C/C++, JAVA, PERL
5. They must have good experience with one/two major molecular biology software package.